Friday, July 23, 2010

Boy Scouts of America

I became of Cub Scout when I was 8 years old. I went to meetings each week and spent time at home earning badges. I was a Bobcat, Wolf, Bear and then Webelos. Then I became a Boy Scout when I was 11 years old. I went on campouts, learned to tie knots, and enjoyed playing with a pocket knife and building fires. I earned ranks of Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, 1st Class, Star, Life and then Eagle. I earned merit badges such as Citizenship in the Community, Lifesaving, Personal Management, Wilderness Survival, Family Life and Art. I went to Summer Scout Camps and participated in the Mile Swim and Polar Bear Challenge.

To earn my Eagle Scout award I had to progress through all the Boy Scout ranks, earn over 20 merit badges, participate in many hours of community service and organize my own service project. I put together two days of packaging food for the poor and homeless, where my volunteers and I packaged hundreds of boxes of meals.

I still remember much of what I learned as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout. I remember fun activities like building a tennis ball cannon. I remember that if you are camping and your feet get cold in the night, you should put on a hat because heat is escaping through your head. I can still recite from memory the Boy Scout Law, Oath, Slogan and Motto.

When I was 18 years old I finished my career as a Boy Scouts and thought I was done for good. A few years later though, I was asked to be a Cub Scout leader in Springville, Utah. I accepted and had a small group of 3-5 boys that I met with each week to lead and teach. Each time we met, it seemed like we didn't accomplish much in our hour of time together. The boys often didn't seem to be paying attention. I wondered what I could possibly be accomplishing and what I was doing wrong.

My Cub Scout Pack - Springville, Utah 2006
Attending a Cub Scout Day Camp.

A couple years later I moved to Southaven, Mississippi. When it was discovered that I had experience with Boy Scouting, I was again asked to be a leader, this time for a Boy Scout troop. I accepted, a bit reluctantly, thinking it would be the same experience as in Utah. And for the most part it has been the same. I've had anywhere from 1-3 boys, who sometimes don't pay attention and each meeting seems to be mediocre at best. I must be doing something wrong because when I was a young scout, my leaders seemed much better and I learned a lot.

My Boy Scout Troop - Southaven, Mississippi 2010
Two scouts were absent this day.

Upon reflection, however, I realize that I attended a Cub Scout or Boy Scout meeting nearly every week for almost 10 years. Thats over 500 meetings. I probably didn't gain much at each meeting, but as a whole a lot of nothings added up to a big something. So maybe I don't need to have a huge impact on the scouts I lead, maybe I just need to be there teaching something week after week. Then, over the course of their life, they'll be able to look back and see the impact the scouting program had on them.

I am glad I was a part of Boy Scouts of America as a boy. I shaped my life to some extent, perhaps more than I realize. Now being on the leader side of the program, I can really appreciate the time and effort my scout leaders put into the program. So thank you Gail, Steve, Mark, Kevin, and Kelly. You did a great job and are very appreciated!

No comments: